At Lakeview we are blessed to be in partnership with the larger movement of the Evangelical Covenant Church. The ECC is a rapidly growing multi-ethnic denomination in the United States and Canada with ministries on five continents of the world. Founded in 1885 by Swedish immigrants, the ECC values the Bible as the word of God, the gift of God’s grace and ever-deepening spiritual life that comes through a faith with Jesus Christ, the importance of extending God’s love and compassion to a hurting world, and the strength that comes from unity within diversity.
The Evangelical Covenant Church is:
• Evangelical, but not exclusive
• Biblical, but not doctrinaire
• Traditional, but not rigid
• Congregational, but not independent
Identity and Biblical Mission
We are united by Christ in a holy covenant of churches empowered by the Holy Spirit to obey the great commandments and the great commission: to love God with all our heart, soul, strength, and mind, to love our neighbors as ourselves, and to go into all the world and make disciples.
What We Do
These are important days of partnership among our more than 800 congregations in this movement known as the Evangelical Covenant Church. Together, we are making a real difference in real people in real places with the good news of Jesus Christ as we pursue five strategic priorities. God has critically important things for us to accomplish in a world of great need. It will happen as we live into this mission together.
Our Mission Priorities:
Start and Strengthen churches
We are committed to start and strengthen healthy, missional churches, much like the Apostle Paul started and continued to strengthen churches in the New Testament. We believe the local church is God’s basic strategy to carry out mission in the world.
Make and Deepen Disciples
We are committed to reach people with new life in Christ, and then to help them grow deeper in Christ. It is a lifelong journey of faith.
We are committed to our clergy, through investing in their ongoing personal and professional growth. We also see very real opportunities to expand the training of our laity. In multiple venues we seek to develop all leaders or the church – both clergy and lay.
Love Mercy, Do Justice
We are committed to pursuing compassion and justice through our world. From our inception the Covenant has been concerned with helping hurting people (love mercy), and addressing the causes of that hurt (do justice). From a biblically rooted perspective, we provide tangible ways of extending the love of Jesus in deed as well as work, and speak as an advocate.
We are committed to a global gospel – extending the whole gospel to the whole world. Through global partnerships and our own missionary team, we make and deepen disciples, start and strengthen churches, develop leaders, and love mercy and do justice.
Some Specific Characteristics of the Covenant Church
1. We have a commitment to the biblical call to racial reconciliation. We are grateful to be a very ethnically diverse denomination. We believe this reflects the biblical vision for sharing life and ministry together.
2. We believe God calls and gifts both men and women to lead and serve. In the Covenant church both men and women serve as pastors, missionaries and leaders.
3. We are a growing church. Our commitment to both planting new churches and church revitalization have been an important part of this momentum.
4. At Lakeview Covenant we are part of a specific group of Covenant churches in the “Northwest Conference”. For more information on this please go to www.northwestconference.org
For more information on the Covenant Church please go to www.covchurch.org